Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lily invasion!

Lilies are not native to my area and are considered invasive plants here.  So far i have counted over 100 lily plants in my yard.  I know that buying an exisiting home has quirks, but seriously who needs 100+ lily plants??  They are growing in full shade, part shade, and currently full sun (soon to be part shade when the trees come in).  

don't get me wrong there is a native lily species to md.  but this isn't it b/c I've seen it and they are very unique and are allready in bloom this time of year.  These guys are just sprouting.  The plant native to MD is the Canda Lily.  Which if you haven't seen what it looks like, its very pretty: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LICA3.  This website happens to be one of my favorite resouces for plants.  Full of all the information any non-botantist should know about their plants.

No comments: